Monday, June 12, 2006

Topeka at Junction City

I was present for the first 7 innings of tonight's game in Junction City, at which point my son was tired and grumpy enough that we needed to head home. When I left Topeka was down 4-1 in the middle of the 8th.

Update: The final score was 5-1. Also, here's the article from the Generals' website. Also video from 49 ABC.

Review: The ballpark and the atmosphere in Junction City was impressive. An old limestone WPA stadium with some new aluminum bleachers down the left field line, and a new beer garden down the right field line. My only minor complaint was that the sound effects were a little over the top. I'm no purist, but a wacky sound effect on every pitch, and a comedic movie line during every little lull in the game is a bit much. The between innings promotions were well run and did not delay the game at all. Not much foul territory, so you are really close to the game even in the cheaper aluminum seats.

Editorial: This is probably my one road trip this year, and I really wanted to see what Junction City was like, since the league has expressed an interest in Topeka. I love the compactness of the MINK, and the tradition of the National Baseball Congress, but I would not be opposed to the Golden Giants moving to the CPBL. It would be tougher for Topeka, since we don't have a classic old municipal ballpark to renovate, but it could be done. The CPBL has the minor league atmosphere of an indepedent professional league, but it represents a more sustainiable business model. Nothing is certain at this level of baseball, but the CPBL has a better chance to last in Topeka than an indy league.

No comments: